It’s oral cancer awareness month- have you been screened for this growing health concern?
The signs and symptoms of oral cancer can frequently be spotted by Severna Park dentists Dr. Morgan and Dr. Wessner during a routine dental exam. Visiting the dentist twice per year can be a life saver- it enables Dr. Morgan, Dr. Wessner and their staff to detect changes in the oral cavity that may indicate a possible health issue that a patient would not notice with typical oral hygiene practices at home. Detecting oral cancer in the early stage can dramatically increase the effectiveness of treatment: less than 50% of patients can be treated successfully when diagnosed in later stages.
Oral cancer has been on the rise globally and it is estimated that more than 8,000 deaths are attributed to this type of disease each year. Tobacco use and smoking are both major causes of oral cancer, but the rise of the HPV virus has also been linked to the rise in oral cancer rates.
Do you know the common symptoms of oral cancer?
Symptoms of oral cancer can include:
- Persistent hoarseness
- Pain or difficulty swallowing
- Lump in the throat or neck
- Persistent earache- often in both ears
- Numbness in or around the mouth
- Lesion or sore that does not go away Preventive dental care is important! Oral cancer screening is part of preventive care with Dr. Morgan- at your regular visit for a dental cleaning Dr. Morgan and Dr. Wessner will perform a thorough exam of the mouth as part of screening for signs of oral cancer.
If you have been avoiding the dentist, now is the perfect time to come back and both restore your oral health and get screened for oral cancer. Schedule an appointment with Severna Park dentist Dr. Morgan or Dr. Wessner today!